A Digital Elevation Model, or DEM, is a very popular file format that is used to create 3D models.
In Surfer 10 you can grid any XYZ ASCII type data file and save it directly as a DEM (as opposed to the default GRD file format). Follow along as I demonstrate the ease of gridding your XYZ ASCII data, saving as a DEM, and then creating a 3D surface model from the DEM file.
- Open Surfer and from the toolbar select Grid | Data.
- In the Open Data dialog navigate to the Surfer 10 Samples folder and then select and open Demogrid.dat.
- In the Grid Data dialog click the Change filename folder.
- In the Save Grid As dialog select DEM USGS DEM (*.dem) from the drop down menu next to Save as type: and then select Save.
- Back in the Grid Data dialog select OK to create the DEM.
- Select OK in the Export Options dialog, Yes in the Surfer Warning dialog, and OK in the Surfer dialog.
- Now from the toolbar select Map | New | 3D Surface and navigate and select the newly created DEM to create a 3D surface map.