You can use Didger 4 to import an image of your LAS log to digitize. After you digitize your LAS log in Didger 4 you can export to .LAS file format to be uploaded in Strater 2. Follow along as I show you how to import an image file of your LAS log in Didger 4, calibrate the LAS log image, digitize the log, export to .LAS file format, and upload the LAS file to Strater 2.
To complete this tutorial you can download and unzip SampleLAS.jpg by clicking on the following link, SampleLAS.
- Open Didger 4 and from the toolbar select File | Import and navigate and open SampleLAS.jpg.
- In the Image Registration and Warping dialog use a combination of the Zoom and Pan Graphic tools to set four known calibration points.
- Once you have set your 4 calibration points and entered the corresponding values in the Calibration Points data table under rows Reference X and Reference Y, select OK and the log will appear in the Didger plot window.
- You can now digitize the log by selecting Digitize | Polyline from toolbar. Your cursor will turn into a crosshair and you can begin to click on the log line to digitize it. Remember to double click to finish your polyline.
- Now lets resample the polyline by selecting it in the Data Manager and then selecting Tools | Resample Polyline.
- In the Resample Polyline dialog choose Resample Along Y Axis. Set your Starting Value to 10180, Ending Value to 10420, and Increment Value to 5, then select OK.
- Delete the original digitized polyline from the Data Manager so that only the resampled polyline and the image remain.
- From the toolbar select File | Export and in the Export dialog choose a location for the file, name your file, change the Save as type: to LAS - Log ASCII Format (*.las), and then select Save.
- In the LAS Export dialog on the Curve Info tab ensure that the Starting Depth is 10420, the Ending Depth is 10180, and the Step is 5.
- Next, select the Well Info tab to fill in "dummy" well information, and then select OK.
- Now open Strater 2 and select the Project Settings tab to get to the Strater worksheet window.
- From the toolbar select File | Load Data and in the Open dialog navigate and open the newly created LAS file.
- In the LAS Import Options dialog accept the defaults by selecting Load.
You have now successfully imported an image file of an LAS log into Didger 4, digitized the log, resampled the data at your own specified interval, and exported to LAS file format to be loaded in Starter 2.